What is an SA302 Form and How to Get It: A Self-Employed Guide

SA 302 Form

If you’re a self-employed worker in the UK, you’re likely familiar with the process of filing your Self-Assessment tax return each year. But did you know that there’s a handy document related to your tax return that could be useful in a variety of situations? It’s called the SA302 form.

What is an SA302?

The SA302 form is an official document issued by HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs). It provides a summary of your income and tax calculations as submitted on your Self Assessment tax return. Essentially, it’s a proof-of-income statement from HMRC.

Read also: What is a CWF1 Form

SA302 Form Example:

SA 302 Form example

Why Do You Need an SA302?

Here are common scenarios where you might need an SA302:

  • Mortgage Applications: When you apply for a mortgage, lenders need to verify your income sources and affordability. The SA302 is a trusted HMRC document they regularly use for this purpose.
  • Loan Applications: Similar to mortgages, other types of loans may also require proof of income, and the SA302 serves this need.
  • Income Verification: Occasionally, organisations or agencies may ask you to provide proof of your self-employed income; the SA302 is an ideal document for this.

The list of mortgage providers.

How to Get Your SA302

There are two ways to obtain your SA302 form:

  1. Online through HMRC:
    • Log in to your HMRC online account.
    • Go to the “Self Assessment” section.
    • Select “More details about your Self-assessment returns and payments.”
    • You can download and print your SA302 forms for the last four tax years.
  2. Request by Phone:
    • Call HMRC directly at 0300 200 3310.
    • They will mail the SA302 form to you. Note that it might take a few weeks to receive it.

What’s Included in an SA302?

The SA302 form has two main sections:

  • Tax Calculation: This section summarises your income from all sources, your tax allowances, and the total amount of tax you paid or owe for the tax year.
  • Tax Year Overview: This section confirms the tax payments made, any outstanding balances, and potential refunds owed to you.

Important Points to Remember

  • Lenders often request SA302s for multiple tax years (usually 2-3) to get a better picture of your income stability.
  • You’ll need your SA302 and the accompanying Tax Year Overview when submitting them as proof of income.
  • If you submit your Self Assessment tax return through an accountant, they can assist you in getting your SA302.

Read also: What is a Tax Reference Number?


The SA302 form is a valuable tool for self-employed individuals in the UK. If you think you might require it, make sure you know how to access yours! Need help with the process, or with your Self Assessment tax returns in general? TaxAce LTD Accountants can assist you with obtaining your SA302 and ensure your tax returns are filed accurately and on time

Contabila UK - Founder and CEO -TaxAce - Iurie Bivol

Iurie Bivol


Entrepreneur and accountant with 15 years of experience in the UK.

Contabilitate UK - Senior Tax Assistant - Alina Costreie

Let's talk accountancy services for business.

Like what you see? Get in touch today to see how we can help you save time and stress less.